Graduate Student International Field Research Awards
The Division of International Studies is pleased to announce the 2013 competition for Graduate Student International Field Research Awards. These awards enable PhD students to conduct exploratory summer field research abroad in order to develop their dissertation topics and be more competitive for extramural fellowships. Awards are intended to cover airfare and living expenses abroad, and are expected to average about $3,000 per student. Complete applications are due by 4pm on November 2, 2012. Further details about the awards, the application process and requirements are available here. Please note that students should submit their applications to the International Institute member center that best represents their research area. Please see the link above for a list of member centers. Those students interested in applying through the Center for European Studies should send their completed application to:
213 Ingraham Hall
Email: european [@] intl-institute.wisc.edu
Undergraduate and Graduate Foreign Language & Area Study (FLAS) Fellowships
Funded by the US Department of Education, the prestigious Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships help undergraduate and graduate students increase their expertise in area studies while developing their language skills. Fellowships are available for intensive language study during the summer and for language and area studies during the academic year. FLAS fellowships cover tuition and provide a stipend for either one academic year or for a summer. For more information, and for guidance about preparing an application, please contact the European Studies FLAS Coordinator, Csanád Z. Siklos at siklos [@] wisc.edu, or by phone (608) 265 4766.
1. Applications and deadline information for FLAS awards can be found here.
2. Answers to frequently asked questions about FLAS can be found on the International Institute's page, FLAS FAQs.
3. For information about the European languages supported by FLAS fellowships awarded through the Center for European Studies, please click here.
- Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po) (Paris, France) - Graduate fellowships are available.
- European University Institute (Florence, Italy)
- Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University (Bonn, Germany) - Graduate student scholarships may be available.
- University of Warwick (United Kingdom) - Graduate student scholarships may be available.
Council for European Studies Fellowships
- The Council for European Studies offers pre-dissertation and dissertation fellowships. The call for applications will be announced here each fall.
- Funding for Study in France
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service) - funding for both faculty and students.
- See also the list of funding sources on the European Studies Alliance website.